- 1 1/4 pounds green beans or French green beans, trimmed
- 1 ½ cup Crimini Mushrooms or button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped or grated lemon zest
- 1 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) toasted almonds, slivered
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 cloves, garlic chopped
- 1 onion sliced long
- ½ a lemon
- Himalayan Pink Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add ½ tsp salt and add the beans. Cook for five minutes until tender, and transfer to a bowl of ice-cold water. Drain. (Alternatively, steam the beans for five minutes and refresh with cold water).
- Mix together the lemon zest and almonds in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet, and add the onion. Sauté till onion is caramel color; you can also roast the onions with olive oil in the oven. Set the onions aside.
- In the same skillet, now add some 2 tablespoon olive oil and then add the chopped garlic. As soon as it begins to sizzle and smell good (30 seconds to a minute), Stir in the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms soften then toss in the green beans.
- Toss for about a minute until the beans are coated with oil and cooked garlic. Stir for a minute, then squeeze some lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Then add the slivered almonds and half the lemon zest.
- Transfer the beans to a platter or serving dish. Top with the remaining almonds, the caramelized onions and lemon zest.
Advance preparation: The blanched or steamed green beans will keep for three or four days in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information per serving: 150 calories; 10 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 13 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 11 milligrams sodium (does not include salt added during cooking); 4 grams protein