- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and de-veined
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot curry powder ( you get the mild curry powder for less spicy)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red chili powder or more based on spice tolerance
- 1 tsp garlic powder teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 6-8 fresh bay leaves2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or Coconut oil
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 lemons sliced into wedges
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
*Bay leaves and lemon wedges infuse peppered shrimp with woodsy and citrus flavors. If your grocery doesn’t carry fresh bay leaves, substitute good-quality dried bay leaves (such as Spice Island) soaked overnight in water. Leave the tails on the shrimp for a prettier presentation
Raita (yogurt salad)
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt or Goat milk Greek Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped mint
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 large English cucumber (1 pound)—halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced on the bias or Persian cucumber 2 small.
- 1-2 teaspoon juice of lemon
Directions for making Indian Curried Grilled Shrimp
- Light a grill or you can light a over the stove grill pan.
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the curry powder, cayenne, garlic powder, smoked paprika, Himalayan pink salt and coriander and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil or coconut oil .
- Thread 4 lemon wedges, 4-5shrimp, cherry tomatoes and 4 bay leaves alternately onto each of 8 (10-inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done.
Cucumber mint Raita (cucumber mint yogurt)
- In a mortar pestle crush the mint leaves, coriander leaves, pink salt and 1-2 teaspoon of lemon juice till it gets to a pureed consistency
- In a medium bowl add the Greek yogurt or goat milk yogurt. Add about 2 tablespoon water to thin out the yogurt a little if it’s too thick. Add the mint and coriander puree and then cut up cucumber. Mix well. Taste for salt. If it’s too salty add more yogurt. Garnish with mint. Keep in refrigerator to chill and take out when ready to serve.
- Serve the grilled shrimp with the cucumber salad and grilled lemon wedges.